An engine compartment fire in a C3 Corvette resulted in injuries to three firefighters Saturday morning in Colorado.
Authorities with West Metro Fire Rescue in Jefferson County tweeted about the garage fire, which occurred around 9:30 a.m. at the Tanemara apartments, 11439 W Burgandy Ave.
Firefighters believe the fire started in the engine compartment of the white 1976 or 1977 Corvette coupe while it was parked inside an adjoined garage at the apartment complex.
When the first crews arrived on the scene, light smoke was showing from one of the units in the communal garage. After stretching a hose line to the door, firefighters opened it and the smoldering fire flashed over, causing a vapor explosion that caused minor injuries to three firefighters. They were taken to the hospital to be evaluated.
Fortunately, firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the unit of origin, and ROTC, West Metro’s arson dog, assisted in the investigation.
The Corvette, fortunately, was also able to be saved, with photos from the scene showing damage under the hood but the rest of the car apparently in good condition, though the peeling rear bumper could use some new paint.
Our crews this morning on a garage fire at an apartment complex near Simms and Bowles. When the first crews arrived on scene, there was light smoke showing from one of the units in the communal garage. 1/3 pic.twitter.com/bKZ6X30zJn— WestMetroFire (@WestMetroFire) April 3, 2021
The cause of the fire is accidental. It started in the engine compartment of the vehicle parked inside the unit. Firefighters contained the fire to the unit of origin. ROTC, West Metro's arson dog, assisted in the investigation. 3/3 pic.twitter.com/uL08UYetGM— WestMetroFire (@WestMetroFire) April 3, 2021
[ACCIDENT] 1994 Corvette Catches Fire in Southwest Florida Neighborhood
[ACCIDENT] Puget Sound Firefighters Called to Extinguish a C3 Corvette on Fire
[ACCIDENT] Lightning Strike Burns Down a Building Housing Two Midyear Corvettes