Don’t give up on owning a Corvette.
That would be our best advice to Ben Bergen of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan.
He bought his 1985 Corvette just a week ago and was driving the sports car for the first time on the Fourth of July when some “fireworks” of a different kind ruined his holiday celebration.
As he was motoring along on Airport Road south of Second Line about 4 p.m. Monday, he reported hearing a pop and the Corvette stalled, so he pulled over.
“I heard a hiss and it caught fire,” Bergen said.
Fortunately, he was able to get out of the car with no injuries, but the same can’t be said for his now crispy Corvette.
An ambulance that was just passing by called Sault Fire Services, which arrived quickly to extinguish the blaze but not before it had done significant damage to the Corvette.
Based on these photos, the back of the car took the brunt of the damage, with the interior melted into a black mess, too.
“I’m a little bummed out… (but) it’s just a material possession,” Bergen said.
He says he feels fortunate to be alive, and we’re glad he’s still around to enjoy a future Corvette. Just remember, this was a fluke occurrence; not all Corvettes catch fire.