Yesterday a new member of the Corvette Forum named ZERV uploaded several images reported to be Computer Aided Drawings (CAD) of the C8 Corvette. It’s the first time this user has ever posted on the forum and because they used the internal code name for the mid-engine C8 as their forum handle, people are believing this to be the real deal.
The images look to have been taken from a computer screen. Another forum user performed a reverse image search and found nothing else online that resembles these CAD images. Inexplicably, the photos that were originally posted just yesterday evening have been removed from imgur and no further posts by ZERV have been seen.
But as we know, “The Internet is Forever” and the C8’s CAD drawings have been preserved:
Here is an example of the side skirts from the CAD image and then the same area is highlighted on a C8 prototype that was spotted earlier this year:
I’m no expert when it comes to interpreting these drawings so I am leaning on several other forum members who seem to be in the know. Here is a bulleted list of what they see:
- Coil springs (FINALLY).
- Magshocks (or spool valve, either way, fancy shocks).
- Upper front arms look to be similar to C5/6/7 with trunions.
- Lower front arms look to be similar to C5/6/7 with camber eccentrics.
- Rear subframe is HUGE and is a very strange mix of cast parts and welded tube. Can’t tell if it’s welded or bolted together in the middle.
- Engine is an LT1.
- Looks like factory shorty headers instead of cast manifolds.
- Engine has alternator relocated.
- Not sure what the upper-right accessory pulley is for. Upper left is water pump, lower right is AC.
- il filter looks easy to get to.
- Oil cooler clearly shown above filter.
- Half-shafts look to be the “bolt on flange” style (no draining trans to remove shafts).
- That transaxle is BEEFY. Like, dear god. Can’t tell if it’s auto or manual. If I had to wager, that’s the automatic (guessing from shape of bottom of trans and what looks to be coolers hanging around it).
- Giant flat space above transaxle is more than likely for intake box/filter.
- No turbos shown.
- Frame looks to be similar to C5/6/7 with giant hydroformed rails (probably still aluminum). Disappointing. I was hoping for proper unibody. Hopefully with a fixed roof it’ll be stiffer.
- Brake rotors are 1 piece. Calipers are MASSIVE.
- Side skirts are mechanically fastened just like C5/6/7. Still going to be horrendously expensive to fix if damaged.
- Brake ducts clearly shown on front.
An earlier C8 Corvette leak showed panels of the mid-engine sportscar being painted at the Corvette assembly plant. We know the Corvette Team can’t be happy with this latest leak and it’s understandable. But if what we are seeing comes to fruition, then the C8 ME will be the class-beating sports car worthy of the Corvette name.
[SPIED] Mid Engine C8 Corvette’s Front and Rear Body Panels Spotted in Corvette Factory’s Paint Shop
Road and Track Has Video of Mid Engine C8 Corvettes Driving Down the Highway
[SPIED] Camouflaged Mid Engine C8 Corvette Spotted in Public for First Time