This morning, Chevrolet unveiled the all-new Gen V small block V8 engine that will power the 2014 C7 Corvette. The new V8 will be designated the LT1 – the third time Chevrolet has used this RPO for a Corvette engine. Estimated power will be 450 horsepower and 450 lb-ft of torque and with a variety of fuel saving technologies, the new Corvette is estimated to get 26+ MPG.
Our own Steve Burns attended the engine seminar live this morning and here are some of the details that have emerged:
- New Chevrolet Corvette V8 is 6.2 liters, designated LT1. This is the 3rd time for a Corvette engine to use that RPO code.
- 0 to 60 mph in less than 4 seconds. Entry-level car. 450 hp or more!
- New Corvette will use cylinder deactivation. Will go from 6.2 V8 to 3.1 V4 for better fuel economy.
- New V8 engine has 11.5:1 compression ratio. Direct fuel injection, cylinder deactivation; continuously variable valve timing; active fuel management
- 450 hp 450 lb-ft of torque. More than 26 mpg!
- New engine has a unique and complex piston head.
- New LT1 V8 has 50 lb-ft more low-end torque than current LS3 V8; matches the LS7 V8 from the Z06.
- LT1 engine to be built at Tonawanda engine plant in Buffalo.
- Premium fuel recommended, but not required.
- Spark plug is in the center of the chamber. Intake and exhaust valves are reversed.
- There will be an optional 11.5 quart dry sump oil system available for the new LT1 V8
- 6,600 RPM fuel cut off in the new LT1 motor
- All the new technologies on the LT1 make it a heavier motor than the LS3
- Patent-pending PCV system
- Final performance ratings will come in 2013
- Peak horsepower around 6,000 RPM; peak torque around 4,000 RPM
- New combustion process to be documented in an SAE paper to be published in the Spring of 2013
- LT1 is the first OHV engine with Direct Injection
We have even more details coming and its going to be a busy day so keep checking back for more information on the new C7 Corvette!
[VIDEO] Corvette’s Tadge Juechter and Kirk Bennion Talk about the C7 Corvette at Petit Le Mans
[VIDEO] Chevrolet Releases First 2014 C7 Corvette Teaser Video
[VIDEO] Corvette Racing and 2014 C7 Corvette Announcement from Petit Le Mans