Firefighters Save a C6 Corvette From Burning Townhome


Firefighters Save a C6 Corvette From Burning Townhome

All is not lost at least.

This red C6 Corvette coupe that was housed in a burning building apparently escaped without damage this week, thanks to the heroic efforts of firefighters in Topeka, Kansas.

Authorities believe careless smoking ignited the blaze, which caused an estimated $35,000 damage to two adjacent townhouses and their contents in southwest Topeka on Tuesday afternoon.

Crews were called to battle the blaze about 1 p.m., finding smoke and flames coming from the two-story, wood frame structure located at 5407 and 5409 S.W. 23rd.

They were able to get the fire under control, spraying water from a second-floor balcony into the building, including the attached garage where the Corvette was located.

Firefighters obtained the keys to the Corvette around 1:45 p.m., shifted it into neutral, and rolled it out of the garage to safety, partially down a concrete driveway where it miraculously appeared to be unharmed, according to a story posted by the Capital-Journal.

Helping save the Corvette and prevent worse damage to the townhouses, in addition to the Topeka Fire Department, were the Kansas State Fire Marshal’s Office, Topeka Police Department, Westar Energy, and American Medical Response ambulance service.

Firefighters say the resident escaped from the burning building before they arrived.

Fire Marshal Mike Martin says his preliminary investigation puts the blame for the fire on improper disposal of smoking material.

The townhouses suffered extensive damage on both floors and the roof, with the fire doing an estimated $25,000 in damages to the building and another $10,000 to the contents.


[ACCIDENT] Man Watches as His 2014 Corvette Stingray Goes Up In Flames
[ACCIDENT] Fire Burns Down HBO Set Destroying Over 20 Rare 1990 Chevrolet Vehicles
[ACCIDENT] Fire Destroys a New C7 Corvette at a South Florida Dealership