Chicago area resident Rich Szatkowski spent the 4th of July finishing the interior restoration of his prized 1989 Corvette: New seats, new carpet, new steering wheel and a new stereo. As he washed the carpet earlier in the day, he left the roof panel off so it could dry out properly. Unfortunately, a neighborhood firework found its way through the open roof, igniting the interior and destroying the Corvette.
The news gets even worse for Rich. Because the car was undergoing restoration and was not being driven, Rich did not have insurance on the Corvette.