DETROIT (April 30, 2018) – It’s been awhile, but Corvette Racing is finally heading back to Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
The return is a fitting one for the team in the midst of its 20th season of competition. No team in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship has the level of history and success at Mid-Ohio than the Corvette Racing program. With the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Showdown looming, here are a couple of facts and tidbits to peruse…
- 1: As in one team, one manufacturer and one model of car for 20 years: Corvette Racing, Chevrolet and the Chevrolet Corvette.
- 3: Class victories at Mid-Ohio for Oliver Gavin, the most among Corvette Racing drivers. He and Tommy Milner won in 2012 – the team’s last visit to the track.
- 5: Class victories at Mid-Ohio for former Corvette Racing pilot Johnny O’Connell, the most among team drivers.
- 6: Years between Mid-Ohio events for Corvette Racing.
- 7: Consecutive victories at Mid-Ohio for Corvette Racing between 2001 and 2008; the team didn’t race there in 2003 as it was not part of the American Le Mans Series schedule.
- 8: Class victories at Corvette Racing at Mid-Ohio – more than any entrant in IMSA at the circuit.
- 8: As in Chevrolet’s small-block V8. More than 100 million units have been sold worldwide and is the most successful engine in American motorsports.
- 9: Number of drivers who have competed at Mid-Ohio for Corvette Racing – Olivier Beretta, Kelly Collins, Antonio Garcia, Oliver Gavin, Jan Magnussen, Johnny O’Connell, Andy Pilgrim and Tommy Milner.
- 12: Manufacturer Championships for Chevrolet and Corvette Racing since 2001.
- 16: Number of GTLM wins for Corvette Racing since the start of 2014. That is the most of any manufacturer and team in the category.
- 16: Number of victories for Corvette Racing drivers at Mid-Ohio.
- 21: Tracks at which Corvette Racing has won races – Baltimore, COTA, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park/Mosport, Daytona, Detroit, Houston, Laguna Seca, Le Mans, Lime Rock, Long Beach, Miami, Mid-Ohio, Portland, Road America, Road Atlanta, Sebring, Sonoma, St. Petersburg, Texas, Trois Rivieres and Utah.
- 107: Victories worldwide for Corvette Racing – 99 in North America and eight at Le Mans.
- 201: Event starts by Corvette Racing since 1999.
- 5,282.31 Number of racing miles completed by Corvette Racing in its 11 previous appearances at Mid-Ohio. That represents 2,347 laps.
- 274,113.88: Total number of racing miles completed by Corvette Racing since its inception. To put that in perspective Apollo 13 – the longest manned spaceflight in history – covered “just” 248,655 miles.
Our Corvette Racing Coverage is Sponsored By
SONIC Tools USA