Corvette racing legend John Greenwood passed away this summer at the age of 71 and now thanks to a couple of Corvette organizations, his legacy as one of the top racers and builder of Corvettes will be remembered next month at Daytona.
The tribute to John Greenwood will be held November 12th at the HSR Classic 24 Hour Race at Daytona International Speedway and you are invited!
Greenwood is said to be responsible for changing the face of Corvette racing during the C3 “Shark” era more than anyone else. His C3 Corvette Greenwood race cars were very well known for their big aerodynamics and even bigger engines.
The John Greenwood tribute is being organized by our friends at the Registry of Corvette Race Cars and the National Corvette Museum. The NCM will be showing off their Greenwood SCCA AP and IMSA race car from their collection.
The event will be held in conjunction with the Historic Sportscar Racing Classic 24 Hour race at Daytona so there will be plenty of things to see and do. Part of the tribute will include a panel of those who knew, raced with and even those that raced against John back in the day.
Panelists for the John Greenwood Tribute include:
- Burt Greenwood – John’s brother, team manager and spirit through it all
- Louis Galanos – Florida based writer, photographer, racing historian, friend of Greenwood
- Gib Hufstader – Ex GM engineer who developed and channeled racing parts under Duntov’s eye
- Bill Riley – Leading IMSA race car engineer and son of Greenwood car designer Bill Riley
- Dick Smothers – Co driver of Greenwood BFG at Daytona and Sebring
- Phil Currin – Drove Greenwood prepped Corvettes in IMSA for over a decade
- Walt Thurn – Corvette authority, writer and historian, crewed for Greenwood’s rival
- Jim Spaulding – Ex GM Assembly Plant engine and induction system programs manager
- Burt Levy – Respected observer, columnist, critic, author, publisher and vintage race car driver
- Patrick Caldentey – Team manager of # 76 Spirit of America chassis 012 racing in Classic 24 hours
- Adam Boca – Rising National Corvette Museum programming exec and manager of Insurance Program
Tickets for the tribute include a discounted four-day entry package to all the events happening at Daytona with the HSR Classic 24 Hour sports car race so come out and learn about John Greenwood’s legacy and then see all the historic sports car racers which include Corvettes, Porsches, Ferraris, Jaguars, Camaros, Mustangs, Cobras, Mopar and more.
The four-day entry package is $80 if you order before October 30th and then its $100 after that day. The event will be held November 12-15 at Daytona International Speedway. Click here to get your tickets.
Registry of Corvette Race Cars
Legendary Corvette Racer and Racecar Builder John Greenwood Passes Away at Age 71
Corvette Racing Legend Dr. Dick Thompson ‘The Flying Dentist’ Passes Away at Age 94
Corvette Hall of Famer and Racing Legend John Fitch Passes Away at Age 95