Photo Credit: FIA WEC
The 2016 racing season for Corvette is a little clearer now with the word this week that Larbre Competition won’t be competing in the GTE-Pro class in the FIA World Endurance Championship after all.
Larbre, led by Frenchman Jack Leconte, had been exploring a partnership with Wayne Taylor Racing that would have put brothers Ricky and Jordan Taylor in a 2016-spec Corvette C7.R for the WEC regular season, as well as a second deal involving another GM factory driver and two WEC GTE veterans.
But when Leconte wasn’t able to source a new Corvette required by 2016 WEC GTE-Pro rules, he told French media he would instead try to run two Corvette C7.Rs in GTE-Am.
“Initially, we wanted to run one car in GTE-Pro and one in GTE-Am, but GM’s board has decided otherwise,” Leconte told la Nouvelle République.
The 2015 season was a tough one for Larbre, which had no podium finishes with Paolo Ruberti, Gianluca Roda, and Kristan Poulsen at the wheel of its only GTE-Am competitor.
Wayne Taylor Racing and Larbre May Join for GTE-Pro Corvette C7.R in 2016 FIA WEC
Larbre Competition Readies First Privateer Corvette C7.R at Sebring
Watch Larbre Competition’s Corvette C7.R Make Its FIA WEC Debut at Silverstone on Sunday