One of the interesting displays at the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance was from Hagerty Insurance. It’s the 50th anniversary for two automotive icons – the Porsche 911 and the Corvette Sting Ray – and Hagerty asked fans to vote for their favorite.
Fans were handed a ballot to fill out to determine the winner. You can mark your ballot as a “straight ticket” for either of the cars, or you could selectively answer the six ballot questions which compared other model year of Corvettes and Porsches.
Those questions included the following:
- Which car would you like to bring to the Friday night drags?
- 1976 Porsche Turbo Carrera
- 1967 Corvette 427/435
- You’re on the most deserted stretch of highway on the planet, the next fuel stop is almost 500 miles away. Which car do you want to be in?
- 1963 Corvette Z06 “Big Tank”
- 1982 Porsche 911SC
- You can only have one car and you have to drive it year ’round. What will it be?
- 1995 Corvette Coupe
- 1990 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Coupe
- You want the valet in front of the Ritz Carlton Amelia Island to leave your car out front. What do you drive?
- 1973 911 2.7 RS in Viper Green with Black Carrera Stripes
- 1969 Corvette L88 Convertible in Daytona Yellow
- You’re planning a trip on the Mother Road, Route 66. What do you take?
- 1967 Porsche 911S Targa
- 1961 Corvette in Roman Red with Ermine White Coves
- You find yourself on the Autobahn A95 from Munich to Garmisch (one of the least congested stretches of the famous German highway), what do you want to be in?
- 2011 Corvette ZR1
- 2011 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0
During the voting period, over 2,000 votes were cast and the final tally had Corvette as the winner by just 70 votes!
“Both are classic examples of groundbreaking automotive design, technology and value,” said McKeel Hagarty, president and CEO of the insurance company. “Considering the popularity of these iconic sports cars, the close voting results came as little surprise, despite their fundamental differences.”