A dominating debut season for the Corvette Daytona Prototype came to a close Sunday with another win for the Corvette Racing team and the prestigious 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Series Engine Manufacturers’ Championship for Chevrolet.
SunTrust Racing closed the season with a victory at Lime Rock Park, giving Corvette Daytona Prototype teams their eighth win out of the 13 races in 2012.
Contributing to the success of the season were these teams:
- Action Express Racing (two cars) – David Donahue, Terry Borcheller, Darren Law, Joao Barbosa and Paul Tracy
- GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing – Jon Fogarty and Alex Gurney
- Spirit of Daytona Racing – Richard Westbrook, Antonio Garcia and Michael Valiante
- SunTrust Racing – Max Angelelli and Ricky Taylor
Chevrolet is honored to have won the Engine Manufacturers’ Championship, said Jim Campbell, U.S. vice president Performance Vehicles and Motorsports. “This accomplishment, in the debut season of the Corvette Daytona Prototype, is the result of the dedication and hard work of our team owners, crews and drivers, along with that of our technical partners.”
Jim Lutz, Chevrolet program manager, GRAND-AM Road Racing, congratulated the Chevrolet teams and all of its technical partners for winning the championship.
“The level of cooperation and dedication among our Corvette Daytona Prototype teams, in addition to the tremendous support from our technical partners were the key components of this championship-winning effort,” Lutz said. “I am very proud of the contributions made by everyone involved in this program, and celebrate this achievement for Team Chevy.”
Here are the eight wins for Corvette this season:
- Barber Motorsports Park – Spirit of Daytona Racing
- Homestead-Miami Speedway – SunTrust Racing
- New Jersey Motorsports Park – SunTrust Racing
- Streets of Belle Isle-Detroit – No. 9 Action Express Racing
- Mid Ohio Sports Car Course – Spirit of Daytona Racing
- Watkins Glen International – No. 9 Action Express Racing
- Laguna Seca Raceway – Spirit of Daytona Racing
- Lime Rock Park – SunTrust Racing.
Action will resume for Chevrolet Racing in GRAND-AM competition next year at the 51st running of the Rolex 24 Hour at Daytona International Speedway on Jan. 26-27, 2013.
Grand-AM: No. 90 Spirit of Daytona Corvette DP Wins at Laguna Seca
No. 9 Action Express Corvette DP Wins the Rolex Series’ 6-Hour Watkins Glen Race
[GRAND-AM] Action Express DP Corvettes Finish 1-2 at Detroit Belle Isle