This SlideShowPro photo gallery requires the Flash Player plugin and a web browser with JavaScript enabled.

Corvette Racing: Budget Cuts Force Cancellation of 2009 Le Mans Challenge?

by Keith Cornett on December 18, 2008

The GT1 Corvettes at the 24 Hours of Le Mans

AutoSport Magazine is reporting that Corvette Racing will not return to France next summer to compete one last time in the 24 Hours of Le Mans GT1 class as originally planned due to budget constraints. However Steve Wesoloski, director of Chevrolet’s road racing program denies the decision has been made.

Corvette Racing has won at La Sarthe 4 times since 2000 and finished 2nd in class last year, but due to the ongoing financial crises, the team has been told to reduce its racing budget next year. Should the AutoSport Magazine report be true, you would think that this decision would call into question the whole strategy of running the GT1 program during the first half of the season as those races are essentially tune-ups for the 24 Hours of Lemans in June.

While Wesoloski denies the cancellation rumor, he does add the caveat that the final decision will based on the bailout discussions in Washington:

“We are still going ahead with our plans for a reduced programme of Sebring, Long Beach and Le Mans,” he said. “No one has told me otherwise. We are, of course, prepared for all eventualities. It all hinges on what happens in Washington.”



Source:
Autosport.com
Photo Credit: Richard Prince

Related:
Corvette Racing: GT2 Corvette C6.R Ready for Assembly
Corvette Racing: GT2 Will Never Be The Same

Technorati Tags:
| | | | | | | | | |

Advertise with us

Previous post:

Next post: