I was trolling GM’s media site and came across these new photos of the 2009 Corvette Z06. The photos show the Corvette Z06 in the instantly recognizable 57U Cyber Gray Metallic exterior, one of two new colors for 2009. I say instantly recognizable as this was one of the colors that the Corvette ZR1 was photographed in for January’s ZR1 Media Press Kits. The introduction of the Corvette ZR1 has effectively sucked the air out of the room when it comes to discussion of the Corvette Z06, but the car is still a technological marvel with its 7.0 liter 505-hp LS7 v8 power plant.
As we mentioned earlier this week in 2009 Corvette Pricing post, there are several upgrades and enhancements for the 2009 Corvette Z06. They include:
- New, “spider”-design 10-spoke Z06 wheel available in four versions: Sparkle Silver, Competition Gray and chrome
- Color-keyed door and instrument panels with red and titanium interiors
- Power-operated pull-down hatch now standard
- Gray stitching on Ebony base seats (previously red)
- New door sill plates with the Z06 logo
- Acoustic package standard on all Z06 models
- The Z06 also receives a larger-capacity dry-sump oiling system. It upgrades to the 10.5-quart (9.9 liters) system of the new ZR1. The previous oil system held eight quarts (7.5 liters).
So how well will this color sell? Our best comparison takes us back to the C5s Medium Spiral Gray Metallic offered on 2003-04 Corvettes. Spiral Gray was the 5th most popular color in 2003 and 6th most popular in 2004. However it wasn’t offered on the Z06 which may have limited its penetration.