Last week Terry Michaelis of Proteam Corvettes shared his Corvette A list. This was his top 10 Corvettes to buy if money was no object. Those 10 Corvettes represented the rarest of the rare, from a 1963 Grand Sport to a 1971 LS6. This week, Terry brings us his B-List: The Affordables. This list contains 15 of the most collectible Corvettes that are still in reach for most collectors. With Barrett-Jackson happening this week it’s possible that Proteam could be shipping back to Ohio several Corvettes on this list.
Terry’s Corvette B-List
- 1955 V-8
- 700 produced (7 Blue Flame Six; 693 with V-8â€™s) â€¢ values $125K to $350K
- 1957 Fuelie
- 1,040 produced (RPO-684 HD racing suspension, 51 produced; RPO-579E air box, 43 produced) â€¢ value $250K up on the RPO-684/579E
- 1958-â€™62 Fuelies
- RPO 684 + RPO 687 HD brakes + suspension; 884 produced in all 5 years/177 per year â€¢ value $150K up (1958 RPO-684 are very special and more expensive)
- 1958-â€™61 Dual Four
- 245 hp and 270 hp â€¢ value $100K up
- 1963 Fuelie Split Window
- 1,300 prox. produced â€¢ value $100K up
- 1965 Fuelie
- last year fuelie (771 produced) â€¢ value $100K up
- 1965 396-425 hp
- first/last year for the 396 (only 2,157 produced) â€¢ value $100K up (M-22 adds $150K to $250K)
- 1966 427-425 hp
- 5,258 produced â€¢ #2 in top 40 fastest muscle car list â€¢ value $100K up â€¢ 15 M-22 produced (adds $150K to $250K)
- 1967 435 hp
- 3,754 produced (popular then/popular now) â€¢ colors & documentation is important & rare â€¢ value $150K up
- 1963-â€™67 Tanker
- 63 â€™63â€™s produced, 38 â€™64â€™s produced, 41 â€™65â€™s produced, 66 â€™66â€™s produced, 2 â€™67â€™s produced â€¢ values range $125K up â€¢ â€™63â€™s are hot and just try to find a â€˜67 (probably $500K to $1 million)
- 1967 400 hp/air/convt.
- colors & documentation is important â€¢ value $150K up
- 1968/69 L-89
- 624 1968â€™s/390 1969â€™s produced with aluminum head option â€¢ value $150k up
- 1970 LT-1
- 1,287 produced â€¢ value $60K up
- 1971 LT-1
- 1,949 produced â€¢ value $60K up
- 1972 LT-1
- 1,741 produced â€¢ value $60K up â€¢ add air and price soars especially convertibles (less than 50)
- must be the real dealâ€¦ not fakes or frauds
- Colors (Black) adds a lotâ€¦ must be factory original body/trim tag
- Original documentation, history, and Bloomington/NCRS show awards adds a lot
- Original rare options adds a lot (set of Kelsey bolt-on wheels & red stripe tires sold on eBay in â€˜06 for $33K)
- Original, unrestored in excellent condition adds a lot.
- Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware). We are adrift in a sea of sharks disguised as mermaids.
- When it is time to sellâ€¦ be a smart seller. High-profile events like the Barrett-Jackson and Mecum Muscle Car auctions will get you more money for your car than newspaper and trade publication advertisements. Plan ahead if youâ€™re considering selling your baby: seek good lot numbers (pay a premium if you must) and baby-sit your car during the event to answer questions and show pride in your car â€“ it is a reflection of you, and people simply pay more if they like the seller.
- A-E Equals an overall package and desirables.
Do you see anything here you would like in your garage? Leave a Comment (below) and let us know.
tMichaelis Corvette Perspective