Terry Michaelis of Proteam Corvettes has been buying and selling Corvettes for decades and is arguably one of most knowledgeable Corvette pricing experts in the country. When you’re buying and selling hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of Corvettes on any given weekend, you better know where the market is, right? So when Terry told us about his Corvette A-List, ie the top 10 Corvettes to buy if money wasn’t an object, we decided to sit in the front row and take notes.
Terry’s Corvette A-List
- 1963 GRAND SPORT
- 5 produced â€¢ value $6 million and up (good luck)â€¦ none for sale
- 1969 ZL1
- 2 produced â€¢ value $3 million and up (good luck)â€¦ none for sale
- 1967 L-88
- 20 produced â€¢ value $1.5 million and up (good luck)â€¦ none for sale
- 1968/69 L-88
- 196 produced â€¢ value $350K to $750K (They are out there)
- 1971 ZR2
- 12 produced â€¢ value $350K to $650K (4 known to exist)
- 1967 L-89
- 16 produced â€¢ value $450K to $750K (few known to exist)
- 1953 BLUE FLAME
- 300 produced â€¢ value $300K to $500K (VIN 003 sold for $1 million; VIN 005 sold $850K)
- 1963 Z06/TANKER
- 63 produced â€¢ value $275K to $400K (add for race history)
- 1970-â€™72 ZR1
- 53 produced â€¢ value $125K to $200K (few exist)
- 1971 LS6
- 188 produced â€¢ value $125K to $200K (not hard to find)
- must be the real dealâ€¦ not fakes or frauds
- Colors (Black) adds a lotâ€¦ must be factory original body/trim tag
- Original documentation, history, and Bloomington/NCRS show awards adds a lot
- Original rare options adds a lot (set of Kelsey bolt-on wheels & red stripe tires sold on eBay in â€˜06 for $33K)
- Original, unrestored in excellent condition adds a lot.
- Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware). We are adrift in a sea of sharks disguised as mermaids.
- When it is time to sellâ€¦ be a smart seller. High-profile events like the Barrett-Jackson and Mecum Muscle Car auctions will get you more money for your car than newspaper and trade publication advertisements. Plan ahead if youâ€™re considering selling your baby: seek good lot numbers (pay a premium if you must) and baby-sit your car during the event to answer questions and show pride in your car â€“ it is a reflection of you, and people simply pay more if they like the seller.
- A-E Equals an overall package and desirables.
So what do you think? Given an unlimited bank account and the availability factor, which of these ten Corvettes would you covet if the opportunity presented itself? Leave a Comment (below) and let us know.
tMichaelis Corvette Perspective